Meditation has become trendy but in essence, it is a thousand-year-old practice of calming the mind and halting day to day stressors. In doing so, it can benefit every area of your life.
Hundreds of studies have and are being conducted on meditation and more and more benefits are being identified. So, the benefits are no longer hear say but truly backed by science.
In addition, as meditation doesn’t necessarily need to conform to a religious practice it is becoming more and more accepted. Places such as schools and even prison are adopting meditation with amazing results.
Here is a list of 20 key scientific reasons to start meditating:
- It can boost your immune system (which helps to fight disease)
- It can help with pain control
- It decreases depression
- It increases feelings of happiness and positive emotions
- It improves memory
- Decreases anxiety
- Decreases stress
- Makes you fitter and helps to get more out of your workout
- It can help you lose weight
- It is anti-aging (stress is a major aging factor)
- It helps you be a better person (kinder and more social)
- Increases emotional intelligence and social connection
- Makes you more compassionate
- Makes you feel less lonely
- Helps you sleep better
- Makes you more focused
- Can relief headaches
- Gives you a healthier heart
- Makes you more creative
- Makes you wiser!
This infographic is a great resource to easily identifying all the numerous benefits.
Credit : Live and Dare
For further reading, I would recommend liveanddare.com’s well researched article on The Benefits of Meditation.
In summary, with our stressful 24-hour society, having ways to restore calm and balance are becoming vital. Meditation can play a part. With so many good reasons and benefits, if you haven’t already started to meditate then today is a great day to start.