Buddha (meaning “enlightened one” in Sanskrit), was born between the 4th and 6th century in Nepal (close to the border with India). He was born a Prince and named Siddhartha Gautama.
His teachings are the foundation of Buddhism which is the fourth largest religion in the world.
Like Jesus and Socrates, Buddha never wrote down his teachings but passed on his wisdom through the spoken word.
Buddha’s insights and knowledge still remain relevant to our lives today.
Here’s a collection of 33 quotes from Buddha that can change your life:
1. To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others.
2. Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love.
3. Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
4. We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.
5. Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful.
6. However, many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act upon them?
7. The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.
8. A jug fills drop by drop.
9. Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.
10. To understand everything is to forgive everything.
11. Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
12. Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.
13. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
14. In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.
15. In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.
16. Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.
17. There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.
18. It is easy to see the faults of others, but difficult to see one’s own faults. One shows the faults of others like chaff winnowed in the wind, but one conceals one’s own faults as a cunning gambler conceals his dice.
19. I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.
20. Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and guidance of virtue.
21. Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.
22. You cannot travel the path until you have become the path itself.
23. You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
24. Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
25. Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.
26. Just as a snake sheds its own skin, we must shed our past over and over again.
27. There is nothing so disobedient as an undisciplined mind, and there is nothing so obedient as a disciplined mind.”
28. Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten.
29. Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared
30. Whatever is not yours: let go of it. Your letting go of it will be for your long-term happiness and benefit.
31. One is not called noble who harms living beings. By not harming living beings one is called noble.
32. Conquer anger with non-anger. Conquer badness with goodness. Conquer meanness with generosity. Conquer dishonesty with truth.
33. I can die happily. I have not kept a single teaching hidden in a closed hand. Everything that is useful for you, I have already given. Be your own guiding light.(The Buddha, while leaving his body at the age of eighty)
Which quote from Buddha most resonates with you? Leave a comment below.
Mini Buddha Statues
Serene and calming. Wherever you place them; they are sure to bring tranquility and enlightenment! Shop Now